- guide to Dordogne
- towns in Dordogne
- Dordogne Hotels
- Dordogne Tourist Attractions
- Dordogne Gites
Dordogne tourist informationwhere to go - what to see - what to do
Northeast Dordogne is often referred to as 'le Perigord Vert' due to its green rolling hills, forests and prairies.
'Le Perigord Blanc' or white Perigord is defined by the limestone plateaus in the centre and 'le Perigord pourple' or purple Perigord by the vineyards of the Dordogne valley.
The southeast, however, is probably the most popular part of the department for it is here you'll find numerous prehistoric sites, castles and caves. In fact, Europe's most important prehistoric caves are sited here at Lascaux.
This is the place to appreciate some of France's finest medieval architecture, the fantastic geological formations of the Dordogne and great countryside walks.
- Medieval Architecture at Bourdeilles - a medieval chateau built to receive Catherine de Medici. The building works stopped when the visit was cancelled but the castle still dominates the town.
- Gastronomic centre at Perigueux - head here for the best of the local produce: truffles, pies or 'pates de Perigueux' or cured meats or 'charcuterie'.
- Sarlat - a beautiful town possessing the highest concentration of Medieval & Renaissance architecture of any town in France. Some of France's best markets are also found here!
- Grotte de font de Gaume - discover some of Europe's finest prehistoric paintings in the caves near Eyzies.
Le Clement V
( Hotel )
15 Rue Jacques Manchotte Belves 24170
Lasting from the XIth and XIIh centuries, this former village grocery shop has been transformed into a 3 stars hotel....
Logis De France Auberge De La Truffe - Hotel De La Mairie
( Hotel )
Place Du Village Sorges near Perigueux 24420
The Auberge de la Truffe is situated in the world capital of truffles, or "Melanosporum". A 3-star, 3-fireplace Logis hotel....
Premiere Classe Perigueux - Boulazac
( Hotel )
Espace Agora, Centre Ville Boulazac near Perigueux 24750
In the heart of the Dordogne....