- Guides to French Chateaux
- Visit a Chateau
- Chateaux by area
- Nearby Hotels & Gites to book online
Chateau de Combourgtourist information guide
Address: 23 rue des Princes, Combourg, 35270
Tel: 00 33 (0)2 99 73 13 93
Opening Times: Contact Tourist Office (Number indicated) to check | Admission Charge
Chateau de Combourg really makes its presence felt on the small, lakeside town beside it. The Chateau largely dates from the 14th and 15th-centuries and looks like a powerful fortress with massive turreted towers, crenellations, thick walls and narrow openings for windows/p>
The foundation of the Chateau dates back to 1016 and was the work of Junken, a Breton monk. The first owners were the Du Guesclin family but later the castle was bought by the Comte de Chateaubriand in the 18th-century. It was here that his brooding son, Francois-Rene de Chateaubriand (1768-1848), the prestigious author and diplomat spent his childhood days. His memories of early childhood are described in his often amusing works, 'Memoires d'Outre-Tombe'.
The interior of the castle was largely destroyed after the Revolution in 1876 but was restored in the late 19th-century. You can visit the chapel and Chateaubriand's bedroom complete with childhood furniture and early writings.