- guide to Ariege
- towns in Ariege
- Ariege Hotels
- Ariege Tourist Attractions
- Ariege Gites
Ariege tourist informationwhere to go - what to see - what to do
The Ariege borders Andorra and is situated in the middle of the Pyrenees. Its landscape is wild but easily accessible for those who enjoy outdoor pursuits. Walking, camping, fishing and climbing are popular activities in the summer - skiing is main focus in the ski resorts in winter.
In these mountainous regions you may spot bears, wild sheep or even an odd cyclist or two - the Ariege usually playing host to a portion of the 'Tour de France'.
Traditions have held fast in this sparsely populated area of France, not least in some of its more traditional farming methods.
It is not difficult to see why the more rural, isolated areas served as a refuge in the past for fleeing Cathars and French resistance fighters.
- Forest de Belesta - take in the stillness of the Forest de Belesta, considered to be one of the most beautiful forests in the Pyrenees.
- Montsegur - visit the last stronghold of the Cathars who were captured and burnt alive for refusing to convert to Catholicism.
- Cheese Tasting at Roquefort - take a tour of the Roquefort caves and sample the cheese of the largest Roquefort producer in France.
- St-Lizier - the Cathedrale St-Lizier is worth visiting for its Romanesque frescoes but the village's second Cathedral de la Sede has superb views of hills and snow-capped mountains.
Hotel Le Castelet
( Hotel )
4 Roc Gabide Ax Les Thermes 09110
The hotel is located in a peaceful green environment, 3 km from Ax-les-Thermes and near Andorra Principality....
( Hotel )
Avenue Maréchal Foch Mirepoix 09500
The Hotel-Restaurant Les Minotiers is situated in walking distance to the mediaeval square of Mirepoix and close to the most ...
( Hotel )
18 Le Pont Saint Pierre-de-Rivière near Foix 09000
Located in a charming village on the “Green Road” in 4 km from Foix, the hotel Barguillère welcomes you in a warm atmosphere....