- guide to Sarthe
- towns in Sarthe
- Sarthe Hotels
- Sarthe Tourist Attractions
- Sarthe Gites
Sarthe tourist informationwhere to go - what to see - what to do
Sarthe is situated between the Atlantic coast and the Parisian Bassin. To the north, the countryside becomes similar to the rolling hills of Normandy, to the south are the sprawling vineyards of the Loire valley.
Sarthe's three main rivers and 465 streams make it a fisherman's paradise.
Most people come for one of two main attractions - the abbey at Solesmes, for its Gregorian singing, and the 24-hour motorcar race at 'Le Mans'.
If you have the time, perhaps you'd care to discover some of the remaining 200 castles, manors, abbeys and cathedrals that scatter this department.
- Le Mans - the 24 hour race is held here every June, Le Man's Musee de L'Automobile is worth visiting with its collection of race winners up to the present day.
- Cathedral City of Le Mans - the Cathedrale St -Julien at Le Mans rivals that of Chartres and has a fabulous 12th century stained-glass window.
- Bois de Change - the Abbaye de L'Epau, unaltered since the 15th century, and built by Queen Berengere, wife of Richard the Lionheart, is worth a visit.
- Solesmes - founded in the XI century, this abbey is now better known for its impressive Gregorian Chanting!
Chateau De La Barre
( Hotel )
Chateau De La Barre Conflans-sur-Anille near Saint Calais 72120
Set in 100 acres of gardens and park, Chateau de La Barre, less than 2 hrs from Paris, is between Chartres and Tours, and has...
Premiere Classe Le Mans Ouest Universite
( Hotel )
Avenue Olivier Messiaen - Zac Du Ribay- Pavillon Le Mans 72000
With the comfort and warm atmosphere of our new generation of hotels, our hotel is near the A11 exit 8 and beside the N157 an...
Hotel De La Pommeraie
( Hotel )
314 Rue De l'Éventail Le Mans 72000
Located 5 minutes from the centre of Le Mans, Hotel La Pommeraie offers good value accommodation and a warm and friendly welc...