- guide to Charente-Maritime
- towns in Charente-Maritime
- Charente-Maritime Hotels
- Charente-Maritime Tourist Attractions
- Charente-Maritime Gites
Charente-Maritime tourist informationwhere to go - what to see - what to do
From beaches & historical ports to oyster farms, blue lakes & Roman sites, this department really does have it all.
Fought over for many centuries, it has a long architectural & cultural heritage, - a Roman amphitheatre & arch at Saintes, and the fabulous Roman church of St-Pierre at Aulnay.
The coastline and offshore islands offer gently shelving beaches of golden sand that are suitable for all.
La Rochelle still remains one of France's most unspoiled ports and to the northwest of the Ile de Re lie marshes and oyster beds.
The Ile d'Orleon is France's second largest island after Corsica with vast pine forests, nature reserves and miles of sandy beaches.
- Ile d'Oleron - head for the great beaches at Vert Bois and Grande Plage. This is also the place to sample mussels or oysters that are grown in the shallow waters.
- Brouage - the site of Cardinal Richelieu's fortress. Marie Mancini, Louis XIV's lover was imprisoned here by her father for her unsuitable liaison with the King.
- Saintes - the arch of Germanicus at Saintes marks the former entrance to the town and the Abbaye aux Dames, built is 1047, was the site for the education of noble ladies during the 17th & 18th centuries.
- Ile de Re Nature Reserve - home to saltwater marshes and a fascinating nature reserve for birds, Lilleau des Niges.
Les Gens De Mer - La Rochelle
( Hotel )
20, Avenue Du Général De Gaulle La Rochelle 17000
Located 150 metres from the railway station and 300 metres from the Vieux Port, Hotel Les Gens de Mer offers a warm and frien...
Domaine Du Château
( Hotel )
123 Avenue Du Clavier Lagord near La Rochelle 17140
Built in 2007, located near La Rochelle (2 km) and Ile de Ré (5 km), Le Domaine du Château rests in a huge park (12 hectares)...
La Baronnie - Domaine Du Bien-Etre
( Hotel )
17-21, Rue Baron De Chantal Saint-Martin-de-Re 17410
La Baronnie-Domaine du Bien-Etre is an 18th-century manor house located in the heart of Saint Martin de Ré. La Baronnie offe...