- guide to Deux-Sevres
- towns in Deux-Sevres
- Deux-Sevres Hotels
- Deux-Sevres Tourist Attractions
- Deux-Sevres Gites
Deux-Sevres tourist informationwhere to go - what to see - what to do
Deux-Sevres is a department of woodland & small fields enclosed by hedges and trees. The Poitevin marshes to the West are a stretch of fens and swampy marshes.
A myriad of canals, dykes & rivers have opened up opportunities for tourism - the Ecomusee at Marais Breton proving a popular stop off.
Local specialities are eels, snails and angelica - all products that stem from the marshes.
Les Deux-Sevres was once known for its silver mines particularly in Melle. Nowadays, Melle is known for its churches, in particular St-Hilaire built alongside the river. Another impressive church is at Parthenay, a Roman legacy of the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela.
- Coulon - take a boat trip around the marshes starting at Coulon. Here you'll see water lilies, irises, poplars and beeches and a variety of birds.
- St-Maixent-L'Ecole - visit the Gothic wonder of the abbey church, a reconstruction of a building destroyed during the Wars of Religion.
- East of Thouars - see the Chateau d'Oiron, a masterpiece of Renaissance architecture now home to modern art exhibitions.
- Bird Reserve at Marais Poitevin - the Parc Ornithologique at the Marais Poitevin is a great starting point for the trails in the marshes where you'll uncover some 70 bird species.
( Hotel )
25 Rue Condorcet Niort 79000
5 kilometres away from the historic town centre of Niort, enjoy the comfort of a 2-star hotel where everything is provided fo...
Mercure Niort Marais Poitevin
( Hotel )
27 Rue De La Térraudière Niort 79000
Under the shade of the old trees in the garden, close to the Place de la Brèche and the historical area, the hotel welcomes y...
( Hotel )
685, Route De Paris 144, Rue De Copernic Chauray near Niort 79180
Situated near a business district, the hotel welcomes you in a peaceful and comfortable setting. You benefit from a privile...