- guide to Vienne
- towns in Vienne
- Vienne Hotels
- Vienne Tourist Attractions
- Vienne Gites
Vienne tourist informationwhere to go - what to see - what to do
Most of Vienne is made up of a vast expanse of sunflower, maize and wheat crops. This was where Eleanor of Aquitaine lived. Her marriage to Kind Henry II brought the whole of the southwest of France under English rule.
Its modern and fast-moving capital is Poitiers which has known 3 of the greatest battles of French history leaving it rich in architectural and cultural heritage.
The banks of the Vienne river have some fascinating chateaux and historical towns, such as Chauvigny - a busy market town where you'll be able to sample some of the local fare including oysters, prawns, crayfish and numerous, mouth-watering cheeses!
- Futuroscope - a fantastic cinema theme park which presents cutting edge technology in a futuristic setting. Crowd thrillers are the 3D simulators and the 'magic carpet' cinema which makes you feel like you are flying!
- St-Savin - the 11th century abbey church has borne witness to numerous historical events including the Hundred Years War when it was burnt down and later restored by monks. The frescoes inside the abbey are highly revered and represent the Old Testament history.
- Chauvigny - the 11th - 12th century Eglise St-Pierre has choir carvings that represent all different types of monsters.
- Notre-Dame-la Grande at Poitiers - begun in the reign of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Notre-Dame-la-Grande is one of great pilgrim churches in Poitiers. Look for the unique pillars with their striking geometrical patterns.
Hotel Ibis Poitiers Futuroscope
( Hotel )
Avenue Thomas Edison Chasseneuil-du-Poitou 86360
The Ibis Poitiers Futuroscope is ideally situated only a 5-minute walk from the Futuroscope, a French theme park based upon m...
Premiere Classe Poitiers Futuroscope - Chasseneuil
( Hotel )
9 Allée De La Détente- Zae Chasseneuil-du-Poitou 86360
Stay right beside Futuroscope in our hotel situated beside the N10 and in immediate proximity to the A10, exit Futuroscope. T...
Hôtel Restaurant Marmotte Poitiers
( Hotel )
182 Avenue Du 8 Mai Poitiers 86000
Sleeping in this hotel is the pleasure of welcoming a room and calm. You'll find everything you need to feel well and fine. ...